Juan graduated from ITT Technical Institute in San Antonio, TX and received a degree in Computer Network Engineering. He began working as a computer technician in a Maquiladora (MACESA) where he acquired certifications in Microsoft and Cisco. These two certifications created an opportunity for Juan to move to Fort Duncan Medical Center as the System Network Administrator. A few years later Juan jumped on the opportunity for growth and accepted the challenge to work in San Antonio for a network of healthcare centers that included clinics in San Antonio, Laredo, Cotulla, and Gonzalez. From these network of health-centers Juan move on to CentroMed in San Antonio, TX as their Network Coordinator where he dedicated 2 years of service.
Feeling homesick, Juan jumped on the opportunity to come back home to Eagle Pass and work for United Medical Centers. Fourteen years later, Juan continues his work with UMC as the Sr. Network Administrator where he recalls building the centers network infrastructure from it's infancy stages to the robust network that exists today. His knowledge and experience propelled him to further centralize UMC's network apply security policies and firewalls and virtualization. Juan has been an active participant in growing and upgrading the network like allowing for remote access for the centers physicians and moving forward with up and coming network upgrades and virtualization with Citrix 7.6.
In his spare time, Juan enjoys hanging out with his three boys and also coaches his eight year old sons soccer team. He enjoys exercising and is currently prepping for the next Spartan Race.
Read the latest on Juan Apolinar
- Designing and planning the network
- setting up the network
- maintaining the network
- expanding the network
- Virtualize and consolidate standalone servers
- Ensure availability and performance
- Install server based applications
- Install and configure new hardware and software
- Monitor server logs and health alarms
- Monitor, investigate and report breaches in performance
- Identify, troubleshoot and resolve hardware and software problems.
- Currently 27 servers in UMC Network Farm, Accounting, Dental, Domain, Gateway VPN, Print Server and Citrix Servers, Servers are on 24/7
- Installation and Configuration of Citrix XenApp, Citrix Netscaler
- Citrix maintenance Task such as cleaning storage, upgrading software
- Managing/supporting streaming applications through Citrix Xenapp
- Troubleshoot Published applications in Citrix
- Manage users, Group, Role & permissions setting up and allocating resource pools
Other Technical Responsibilities
- Troubleshoot Problems reported by users
- make recommendations for future upgrades
- Maintain and configure system security
- monitor networks to ensure security and availability to specific users
- Administer, Desktop computers, printers, routers, switches, firewalls, security updates, antivirus,Thin-clients.
20 years Professional experience as Network Administrator in Nonprofit Clinics. Microsoft system Engineer, in Server administration.